The deadly 1918 flu pandemic killed 50 to 100 million people worldwide, making it one of the deadliest epidemics in history. Although no exact beginning date is known for the outbreak, historian Mark Humphries links the epidemic to the large number of Chinese laborers who were brought from China through Canada.
He reports evidence of a devastating flu in northern China in November 1917. Many of the Chinese workers who were brought to Canada ended up in medical quarantine.
He cites March 2, 1918 when 1,899 Chinese laborers left Wehai China for Vancouver as a potential beginning point. Read more about his fascinating work here.
This date was used to construct a transit chart to compare to the United States birth chart. Noon was used as the time since the actual departure time was not available. Comparing aspects from the Worker Chart to the U.S. Chart produces many interesting and powerful connections.
First, Mars, Mercury and the Moon can all trigger events. They are all making significant aspects.
- Transiting Mars is in Virgo (rules sickness) over the 9th house of foreigners and long distance travel. Transiting Mars is also conjunct the Midheaven aspecting the 10th house (affairs of the country). Natal Saturn resides in the 10th house, bringing lessons and difficulties to the populace. It also squares natal Venus (Venus rules 6th house of sickness and 10th house) and is conjunct natal Uranus (panic, shocking).
- Transiting Mercury is conjunct natal Moon (the people) in the third house of communication. Mercury rules the news as well as physicians. It is in Pisces ruled by Neptune (poison).
- Transiting Moon (the people and emotions) is in Libra (ruled by Venus) over the 11th house (public). It is possible the Moon is actually in Scorpio (death) since the departure time is not known. The Moon and Sun make hard aspects to Pluto (death).
- Transiting Saturn (difficulties) and Neptune (poison) are over the 8th house (death). They are also conjunct the karmic Natal North Node.
- The Transiting North Node (karma) in Sagittarius (foreigners) is over the first house (public health).
- Transiting Pluto (death and destruction) is conjunct natal Jupiter (expansion) and Venus (rules the 10th house of the public and the 6th house of sickness) in the 7th house (public).
- Transiting Uranus (panic and shock) and Venus (ruling 6th house of sickness) were both in Aquarius (impact to the masses) in the 2nd house (money and values) aspecting the 8th house of death. We know the pandemic had a big impact on the financial wellbeing of the country.
- Transiting Jupiter (expansion) is conjunct natal Uranus (shock, panic) in the 6th house (sickness)